Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Series:Bill's #3 Adherence Tip for Success with HIV Medications

I started a new series on tips for improving your adherence with HIV medications recently.  Daily adherence with medications  is the key to bringing your viral load down to low or undetectable levels, which will dramatically improve your chances of staying healthy and living a full life.  We now know that taking HIV medications daily dramatically reduces the chances you will give the virus to others.

Tip #3:  Use a key-chain medication holder.

I give this little device to nearly all my clients.  I prefer the metal holders, because they are more durable than plastic.  I recommend you keep a spare dose or two of your HIV medications in it, and put it on your key chain.  Most people take their keys when they leave home, so you'll always have your medications with you if you do this.   It is so simple, it's ridiculous, but it works!

Let's face it.  Things happen.  You run out the door in the morning without taking your medications.  You have a late evening out with friends.  You decide to spend the night with your family.   If you don't have a spare dose of medication with you, you are out of luck and you'll miss your dose.
A key-chain medication holder is like an insurance policy.  You may never need it, but you'll be glad you have it if you find yourself far from home without your medications.

I confess:  I've recommended these key chain medication holders for years, but never used one myself.  Today I decided I needed to finally change that.   Here's my holder with a full day's dose of HIV medications!

There's a lot more to come in 2012, so please stay tuned.

Wishing you health!

Bill


Follow me on Twitter:  WillLars
FaceBook:  William Larson, Pharm.D.

© William L. Larson, Pharm.D. 2012

1 comment:

  1. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! https://foodkeychains.com/

    ReplyDelete